
No 21 Cleveland Street was an informal post office used by dandy gents to leave letters for their lovers. It was called Kelly's Library. There is a vast amount of evidence to support this contention, by which I mean there is one reference to Kelly's Library in a fragment of the Evening Standard from Oct 5 1888. And there must have been THOUSANDS of copies of that paper. So much for my donkey detractors. There it is, in a personal column that tells someone a letter awaits at Kelly's Library. From this I deduce that the library existed at No 21 Cleveland Street. Well, show me where it says it doesn't?
At age eleven, Charles Dickens lived at the house still marked no. 22, Cleveland Street, (now the little white house), which was never the tobacconists at no. 21 'Kelly's library' . In the 1880's, Kelly's Library, the tobacconists at no. 21 was adjacent to Hammond's 'House of low repute' , and across the road from the modern no. 21 and 22 in the modern photo picture. (There is now a pretty Café-Bar, where the street's Formal Post Office once stood, adjacent to the modern no. 22) Although this is really No 20, it makes more sense for it to be No 21. It was opposite a workhouse which I have discovered wasn't built till 1830. Westminster Council's website about workhouses says there was a workhouse there from 1778 but what do they know. They wouldn't know a talented beauty if they saw one, let alone a workhouse.
Dickens house is still standing (22) but Kelly's library opposite must have been demolished. There is now a big ugly block on the odd side so Kelly's library and Hammond's are long gone. Firstly under the Workhouse that was erected in 1830 and later under what is there now. So no. 21 disappeared in 1830! This doesn't mean it didn't exist in 1880. It could have been resurrected. Now, you can't be clearer than that.
It was called Kelly's library because the Evening standard says so. Not because Mary Kelly used it, although that would have been a good cover. Nobody connected to the library was called Kelly, except Catharine Eddowes, who was called Kelly because a Special Branch ledger has got someone called Kelly on one page I saw.
Annie Crook, Sicket's lover, worked at 21 Cleveland St. (Other lesser researchers have her as Prince Eddy's lover. I know she was really Sickert's lover. I just do. Endof. I know that I also refer to her as Prince Eddy's lover, but that's quality research, the like of which has not been seen before. You must realise that my methods are far better than any other researcher and shouldn't be questioned.)
So she had knowledge of all these doings having been arrested by Special Branch in May, 1888, and tortured for information about Kelly's Library, by Sir William Gull. He went straight to Kelly's Library and found her, which was abit of a lucky guess for a doctor playing at spies. This was before the Ripper killings started. Brave soul that she was, she told Gull nothing about murders that hadn't happened yet. Such courage.
The little tobacconists' secret letter delivery arrangement may just as well have been named 'Kelly's Library' after its perhaps most special visitor, 'Mary Kelly', one of Prince Eddy's London lovers- perhaps his favourite. In aristocratic circles, love letter collections were long referred to as their owners' 'Libraries.' Like Emma Muncipal-Public, the long time lover of D'aventry Les'trange, eleventh Duke of Earl.
Catharine, whose family and close friends called her 'Kitty' was known to locals as 'Catharine Kelly' , a local Whitechapel lady. Nobody else has discovered this, only me because I am a great researcher. I won't be producing anything to support this, but I am certain that I am right.
Her and John's presence in Cleveland Street and Whitehapel was the efficient security surveillance arrangement Princes Eddy and Georgie would not have been without for a minute after Jenkinson's Secret Service annexe heard about the letter arrangement at 21., Cleveland Street. ( John and Catharine Kelly's 'library').
I think we can safely assume that 'John and Catharine Kelly', Littlechild and Jenkinson's Whitechapel spies, placed in Whitechapel since 1881, were seen by the Special Branch team as ideally placed to effectuate infiltration and control of the Prince's correspondence in Cleveland Street, given Prince Eddy's lover was being sheltered by confederates in Whitechapel. (Lucky that Eddy never thought of giving people letters himself, or to his butler or his gardener.) Catharine Eddowes aka 'Catharine Kelly' evidently became a regular feature of the little tobacconist's in Cleveland Street in about 1885. Catharine Eddowes aka Catharine Kelly and one 'John Kelly' was assigned to assasination detection. Really. She was. I just have an intuition about this and have no need for tedious documentation.
In 1885, Catharine Eddowes met up with free spirited and artistic, musical acquaintance who enjoyed her company disinterestedly and returned innocent rebellious laughter to her life. She was not merely responding to orders; her life changed. She was enjoying freedom of choice. She had friendship. By 1888, instead of spying for Special Branch Secret Service annexe, she was spying on her employers, exploiting Special Branch information and helping rebel confederates associated to Prince Eddy structure their programme. She had a dream of a united Ireland, free and Irishy, under a King who was about half German. Who could resist such a vision? Once again, I will not produce anything to support this claim, I don't need to because I am right.
The need to murder lots of people had become overwhelming by 1888. Sothat is what they did. Not all at once but bit by bit which made thewhole thing much more of an object lesson to all those Dublin Fenians who were told that a load of London prozzies were being slaughtered by a psychotic drug baron.
Anyway I know my theory is right because eventually enough of theFenian Jacobite alliance came to know the truth, and the Irish never bothered the English ever again.
THE EDN.
Everything I've said can be proved by watching 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' starring Geoffrey Brett. But only if you watch as carefully as I do.
|